Thursday, March 6, 2014

Disruptive Possibilities: How Big Data Changes Everything

I was looking forward to this book because of the title. I was under the impression that I was going to find concrete examples on how Big Data has affected and disrupted some industries. Best of all, I thought that I was going to read what industries will be impacted and how.  The book showed some examples at the end, but in my opinion, it leaves something very important: speed and sophistication. 

I just came back from Strata 2014, which is why I was looking forward to this book, and when I heard Matei Zaharia's keynote, it was all I needed to know about the current disruption of big data. Nowadays, big data storage is becoming commoditized, so the best value added is speed (how quick you can get the answer of your problem) and sophistication (run the best algorithms on the data). The book doesn't mentioned this but it might be because of its age - things are moving super quick on Big Data.

Some of the things that the book does well:
  • Introduces some history about the Big Data problem
  • How it affected some of the silos technologies like RDBS
  • How they solve the scalability issue
If you are a manager or someone that has no understanding of the world of Big Data, then I would recommended.  However, if you are a developer, data scientist, or data wrangler, then this book will be too basic.  The one thing that I highly recommend, if you are interested in this subject, is to attend (or at least purchase the videos) of Strata.

You can get the book here.

Happy reading,
Marcelo

No comments:

Post a Comment